What came first, Shakespeare or duck jokes? Our favorite playwright may have invented the "knock knock" joke as well as the "yo mama" joke, but we're having trouble coming finding any duck jokes in the First Folio (although we do learn that Trinculo can swim like one).
So, Bardfilm and I decided to help out. We've done chicken crossing the road jokes, light bulb jokes, knock knock jokes ... it was only a matter of time, wasn't it? It's time for
Shakespeare Duck Jokes
- What do you get when you cross a duck with the innkeeper from the Henry plays? Mistress Quackly
- Duck walks into an apothecary shoppe and orders a dram of poison. Apothecary says, "Let me guess, you want me to put that on your bill."
Duck says, "No I need to get to Juliet's tomb first, I'll do it there."OR
Duck looks aghast and says, "What're ya trying to do, kill me?!"
- "Blow, winds, and quack your cheeks!" - Duckling Lear
- Why was the duck nervous about seeing Hamlet? He heard someone threaten to "Murder Most Fowl."
- Ophelia is out picking flowers when she sees a branch of particularly nice ones dangling out over the river. She sees a duck swimming by and calls out, "Hey duck! How deep is the water?"
"About waist deep," the duck answers back.
Ophelia confidently strides into the water, immediately goes in over her head and is swept away by the current. Gertrude, who saw this whole thing happen, shouts at the duck, "You told her the water was only waist deep!"
Duck says, "It is to me!"
- Falstaff walks into a bar with a duck under one arm. He sits at the bar, puts the duck down on a stool next to him. Mistress Quickly comes over and says, "Get that filthy animal away from my bar!" Falstaff lifts the duck off the stool, places him on the floor. Mistress Quickly says, "I was talking to the duck, Jack."
- Gloucester's at the top of the Cliffs of Dover. He screams, "How do I get down?" Edgar screams back, "OFF A DUCK!"
- Will Shakespeare is walking toward the tavern one day when he sees Ben Jonson coming from the other direction. Suddenly the Earl of Oxford sneaks up behind Shakespeare an hurls a tremendous piece of ox manure at him. "Duck!" yells Jonson to Shakespeare. "Swan!" Shakespeare calls back, "We decided you'd call me" and thats when he got smacked with the manure.
- Duck says to Hamlet, "I forget all my lines in the next scene!" Hamlet says, "Can't you just wing it?"